The highest resolution imaging tool to look at your prostate.
at Skyline Urology
Skyline Urology has recently acquired the ExactVu micro-ultrasound, a new modality that has equivalent safety to conventional ultrasound (its ultrasound) but has a 300% increase in resolution over the conventional ultrasound used by urologists to guide prostate biopsies. That’s why it is called micro- (for near microscopic resolution) ultrasound.
Micro-ultrasound lets our urologists actually see regions that may be suspicious so they can better attempt to “target” the biopsies to that area.
Ask for your biopsy procedure to be guided by high resolution micro-ultrasound.
What is micro-ultrasound?
Micro-ultrasound is a new modality that has equivalent safety to conventional ultrasound (its ultrasound) but has a 300% increase in resolution over the conventional ultrasound used by urologists to guide prostate biopsies. That’s why it is called micro- (for near microscopic resolution) ultrasound.
Why is this important for you?
As a man who has been referred to your urologist for a biopsy, don’t you want your urologist to use the highest resolution imaging tool currently available to look at your prostate, one that lets them actually see regions that may be suspicious so they can better attempt to “target” the biopsies to that area?
As such, ask for your biopsy procedure to be guided by high resolution micro-ultrasound.
Why should I ask for micro-ultrasound to guide my prostate biopsy?
Micro-ultrasound has a 300% improvement in resolution over conventional ultrasound – – which means that your urologist can actually see and then target your biopsies to suspicious areas of your prostate which cannot be seen using conventional ultrasound.
Why is this important for you?
If you are going to have a biopsy – – which is the definitive way prostate cancer is diagnosed – – don’t you want your urologist to use the most powerful imaging modality to visualize your prostate? By requesting micro-ultrasound, you are allowing your urologist to benefit from a powerful tool to visualize your prostate, differentiate areas of suspicion, and then to target those areas with their biopsies.
What is the difference between micro-ultrasound and MRI for biopsies?
Urologists have long needed to find a better imaging solution than conventional ultrasound for their biopsies. Some urologists have partnered with radiologists to start using MRI for their biopsies, which seems to work better in certain select cases (such as if you’ve already had a negative biopsy yet your symptoms persist or rise). The new availability of micro-ultrasound in the USA, Canada and Europe, means that advanced imaging is now available for all cases. There are many benefits of micro-ultrasound over MRI to guide your initial biopsies.
Why is this important to you?
The benefits of micro-ultrasound to you include:
- Micro-ultrasound has even better resolution than MRI. This means the urologist can better see suspicious regions in your prostate and target them – and do so in real-time and in their office.
- You only need one visit to the urologist to get your targeted micro-ultrasound biopsy. In contrast, with MRI, you go to your urologist, you are then referred to a hospital for an MRI, and you then go back to your urologist for a fusion biopsy. That’s at least 3 separate visits.
- The micro-ultrasound imaging session is fast, quick and painless.
In contrast, the MRI scan can be claustrophobic, loud and you usually require an injection of contrast agent which can be dangerous if you have kidney problems. The MR imaging session itself takes 20 – 40 minutes inside the magnet, in addition to all the preparation.
- Your urologist is an expert in ultrasound. It is the imaging modality they have been using and trained on all their professional career. It is familiar and most urologists are experts. Micro-ultrasound is an extension of that. MRI, on the other hand, is generated and interpreted by a radiologist and then transferred to the urologist.
- There is usually no additional cost for micro-ultrasound. In many locations, there is a significant additional cost for prostate MRI.
I have a question about micro-ultrasound
We’d be glad to help. To discuss the ExactVu™ micro-ultrasound and how it may be used for your biopsy, please contact Skyline Urology at +1.818.990.5020 or request an appointment through our secure form.
Can I book my biopsy with micro-ultrasound at Skyline Urology?
We’d be glad to help. To book your biopsy with micro-ultrasound at Skyline Urology, please call +1.818.990.5020 or request an appointment through our secure form.